Delicious with coffee or tea.....so easy to make.....and a fabulous way to spread some kindness! The frosting MAKES the scone......
Place a couple of cooled scones in a cellphane bag, add a tea bag and tie with a ribbon for a tasty gift.....
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup firm butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2/ to 3/4 cup half and half
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease cookie sheet (or use a pampered chef stone)
2. In large bowl, mix flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt. Cut in butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in eggs and just enough half and half so dough leaves side of bowl.
3. On lightly floured surface, knead dough lightly 10 times using floured hands. Divide dough in half. On cookie sheet pat or roll each half of dough into 7-inch round, 1/2 thick pieces. Cut each round into 6 wedges with sharp knife that has been dipped in flour, but do not separate wedges. Brush with orange juice.
4. Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; carefully separate wedges.
5. Mix powdered sugar with just enough orange juice to make a thick frosting paste. When scones are cooled, scoop frosting on each scone. Let the frosting set before serving. ENJOY!